Saturday, February 4, 2012

Some Bass fishing since Xmas 2011


























I've been a little slack posting up some of my fishing of late but as expected I have stuck to the fresh chasing bass and now the rain has dirtied up our creeks and rivers I have the time to post some sessions since Xmas 2011. In my local lake I have been doing a bit of night fishing as well as pre dawn fishing from the kayak. I have focused on catching bass on the flyrod testing a bunch of new fly patterns I have been tying and have had a small amount of success in what is a bit of challenging water to catch any numbers. I've had success with various patterns such as Wiggle Minnows,Cicada imitations and the ever reliable Bass Vampire tied with bucktail not the traditional Kinky fibre. It amazes me how a bass can hit a lure or fly so many times and not hookup prompting a little "engineering" to try and convert more hits to hookups. A stinger hook arrangement seemed to be one way to improve it as well as having flies sit bum down so the hook point is in their face.The Black Hornet fly uses a treble fixed to 40 lb SS game wire held in place with some small shrink tube which was then tied over with marabou and then epoxied over. The other bum down bass flies are variations of Gartside Gurglers and rubber legged poppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment