Friday, December 17, 2010

getting started in blogsville




This is my first attempt at blogging to share some of my fishing experiences.I almost exclusively fish using a flyrod now although I use to use soft plastics back in South Australia to mainly target Black Bream,Salmon Trout & school Mulloway. I got into fishing the flyrod to again chase the Bream in SA but found this was alot harder than it looked.Since then alot of water, with fish in it no doubt, has gone under the bridge and I now live in SE Qld where the fishing opportunities are greater. I have now clocked up some 25 different species of fish on fly ranging from Bream,Barra,Flathead,Trevally to more exotics such as Peacock Bass,Giant Snakehead and the Amazonian fruit eater the Pacu touted as the fresh water Permit (see FishingWild magazine issue 10 ,2010.) I most enjoy catching fish on flies I have tied, particularly if I have tweeked an existing pattern with a different material to suit local fish and thier feeding behaviour. A simple example is tying bread flies for mullet that hang in the surface film rather than on top of it with the hook hanging vertically to reduce the flies being pushed and improving hook up rates.This tying method was inspired by trout emerger fly "types" and their adaptions e.g.the wooly bugger emerger and Andrew Grabhams take on the Jack Gartside gartside gurgler where the "bum" of the flies hang at 45 degrees or near vertical to improve hook up rates.see pic of my emerger bread fly and "victims"

No comments:

Post a Comment