Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Match the "hatch" saltwater style - field to flyvice birth of a fly







If time permits I love to have a quick fish after work , I find sometimes the quick sessions are often the most productive.Such a session back in Adelaide,South Australia got me my PB on Black Bream using soft plastics. The fish was a fat female that measured 39.5 cm and was released of course. Anyway having work up at Noosa,Queensland gets me close to some excellent water in the Noosa river estuary. One such place is the Woods bays up from the river mouth where the water is tannin stained from Weyba creek that flows out of Lake Weyba. Whilst stalking the shoreline on one afternoon session I spied breaking fish near the moored boats so tied on a 7gm searock metal slug and out it went, First cast had fish breaking behind the slug but no connection thinking they were small tailor (bluefish) I sent out another cast and had the metal dancing nice across the surface then WAM! I'm on. A small queenfish around 30 cm. - wishing I had the flyrod and some crease flies I noticed a white faced Heron repeatedly spearing a small pool cut off by the falling tide and went for a look. In the pool and all around the surrounding sand were these some type of anchovy. So I thought this must be what the queenfish was feeding on in the bay so photographed them and then created this fly to mimic them. The fly has very little inbuilt movement so must be animated with short jerky strips or flatout double handed stripping-just love the look of it. Does it produce - yet to give it a good work out I reckon our local Tarpon might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment